I think my real fascination began when I needed to purchase a set of tires for my Land Rover LR4. I went off-roading once and hoped to do it again so I wanted tires that would support that kind of activity while lasting a long time with typical over the road traveling. The Land Rover weighs close to 2 tons so that is a lot of pressure on the tire. I had purchased a set of inexpensive tires previously for the Land Rover and they didn’t even last 10 months! This time I wanted the tires to last, even if I had to pay more. My family used to own and operate a tire store for 45 years where my brother was the salesman for many of those years. For my new set of tires my brother explained to me what treads would grip the road better and what type of tire had better rubber allowing the tire to last longer. The more expensive tires only cost me an additional $200 for the set and were a world of difference for performance and durability. I was hooked! My brother proved how invaluable a knowledgeable salesperson can be.
ITEC proved to be the honey-hole for all that the tire world has drawn me into. This convention educated the engineers on rubber, plastics, molding, chemicals, machinery and everything an engineer of all walks would need to know about the making of a tire from A to Z. I visited every booth, asked questions, soaked up a lot of information and picked up some cool pens and tire swag along the way.
If you’re like me, you would think that the majority, if not all, the tires are manufactured somewhere in the Midwestern region of the USA. Actually, of the top 50 tire manufacturers, only 3 are headquartered in the USA: Goodyear, Cooper and Carlstar Group, which is a producer for specialty tires for agriculture and construction. 18 (35%) of the top 50 are headquartered in China. A few of the other top producers of tires are headquartered in Italy, Germany, Japan, Russia, Canada and India. Tire operations for the USA are mostly planted in the Southern and Midwestern states. Bridgestone, Carlstar, Continental, Cooper, Goodyear and Michelin produce the majority of their auto and light truck tires in states like Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Indiana, Oklahoma and Alabama. In the USA the top producers of racing tires are Hoosier Racing Tire Corp. and Goodyear.
There are many jobs that are willing to take in fresh graduates. These jobs may not be very well paying but they give you an entry into the industry and make it easy for you to grow from here. So, here is a look at your options:
- Sales executive: For many organisations, the buying-selling process is constantly on. You can easily get absorbed as a sales executive. Mind you, this is just the entry level option. Work hard and a sales job can really take you places.
- Programmer: If you have little knowledge about computers, do a programing course and you will be surprised at the way in which your opportunities can multiply. What’s more is that applying to such jobs does not require too much experience.
- Content Developer: Companies are in dire need of content developers. Those who are well versed with the nuances of developing engaging content and using it as a marketing tool can get a good job in this category.
- Transcriptionist: Another good option for fresh graduates who want to make a quick buck is to take up the job of medical transcription. While, we would not advise you to look at it as a permanent venture, working as a transcriptionist can help you manage your finances.
- Translator: Most nations are multi-lingual and so the need to translate marketing collateral into various languages will always exist. Translators can apply for well-paying jobs in government offices. Some of these jobs can be completed with a work from home set-up.
- Web developer: There are many jobs in this category and for those who have the creative instinct, working here can end up being a great money spinner.
- Travel agent: Love travelling the globe, well make a career out of it. Don’t go for the usual booking and selling of tickets, you can venture into something more exciting. For example, customised vacation packages for employees of corporate companies.
- Social media manager: Another popular option among job hunters, working as a social media manager is a good way to jumpstart your career in the domain of digital marketing.
- Data entry: There are many companies offering data entry jobs across the globe and getting into one of them is not going to be difficult.
- Call center: Call centers happily offer jobs to fresh graduates. These jobs are well paying and don’t require too much experience as well.